Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tangaroa Terrace

Tangaroa Terrace may be my favorite counter service location in the Disneyland resort.

http://kingkahunapokerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Tangaroa-Terrace.jpg
It's located at the Disneyland Hotel, which is situated on the far side of Downtown Disney from the park esplanade. It's only about a 10 minute walk through Downtown Disney from the parks, though, and you could ride the monorail to shorten your walk a bit if you wanted!

Plenty of seating outside, and some inside!

http://i1.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/file-43-500x375.jpg
You order here at a snazzy kiosk:


You can view the menu here. After you order, grab whatever else you need (like dessert) from the grab and go case.

http://www.diszine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/tangaroaterracegrabngo-300x225.jpg 
After this, you check out and get a number that you place on your table. They deliver your food to you, and it's on real plates! We ended up eating here twice on our first trip since we loved it so much! We tried a few items, but most importantly, the Hawaiian Cheeseburger:

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DSC_7176.jpg
Yes, it tastes like it looks. The sweet potato fry trend continues here, and they are delicious as always. The multigrain bun is soft and fresh. I would say that the Angus patty is, you know, a Disney patty. It could be moister or seasoned better. But don't worry.. the teriyaki sauce and grilled pineapple ring totally make up for it! This was so delicious we ate it twice in one trip! On the counter service scale I give it a 5/5 for sure!

We also tried the Barbeque Chicken Sandwich:

http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/HN3fcUHnQhDyeQg5gxEQPA/l.jpg
In theory, it sounded great. Just like the burger, it's not your typical chicken sandwich. The patty is panko-crusted and the sauce is tamarind barbeque sauce. The bun is that awesome multigrain again! Maybe it was because we ordered the burger as well or maybe it was because we liked Hungry Bear's chicken sandwich better, but this sandwich just wasn't my taste. If it's your taste, it is very good, though! Just a preference thing. On the counter service scale, I give it a 4/5. I'd give it another whirl.

On another occasion, we tried the Kalua Pork Flatbread:

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/129450-1/TTKaluaPorkFlatbread-20110528-BW.JPG 
I get that it's a flatbread, but this one just fell flat for me. I think I don't like the flavor of barbeque sauce on pizza, so I just didn't dig it. Not much crust and not much toppings. The quality is definitely there, but meh for me. On the counter service scale I give it a 2/5. It might be your thing, but I wouldn't order it again.

We also sampled the Sweet Potato Cake:

http://i1.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC03493-500x375.jpg
It's a very pretty pink, and it was definitely very soft with a good amount of cream cheese icing. It tasted just like carrot cake basically, which I love, so this was a hit. It's rare that we order a dessert at a counter service spot because they're usually boring and not good, but this was great! On the counter service scale I give it a 4/5. I would order it again.

All in all, I give Tangaroa Terrace a 5/5 on the counter service scale. It is a must-do for us. A side note is that Trader Sam's, the tiki bar that looks AWESOME, is right next door. You can even order tapas there or better yet, walk over and order yourself a Hawaiian Burger and I think they will deliver it to the bar. Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment